background

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Quick Art Journal Page - Playing with Gelatos

Over the past 6 months or so, I've been watching YouTube videos on how to use Gelatos.  My first attempt at using them wasn't successful and so I wasn't sure that I was going to buy any keep trying them.  However, I continued to come across projects on various blogs where Gelatos had been used....so I went back to YouTube and the Faber Castell website and watched more videos...and more...and then a few more.  Finally, I purchased a small package that contained 3 Gelatos and a Pitt Big Brush Pen....and then they sat there in my supply box for a little longer. 

I had some ideas floating around in my head about what I wanted to try and this past weekend I finally picked them up, told myself to stop procrastinating and convinced myself that the worst that would happen is that I wouldn't like it and it would be a piece of paper wasted or in need of paint to cover up what I had done.



I was intrigued by using the Gelotos with stamps, so I picked one of my favourite stamps, rubbed the Gelatos across it, spritzed it with water and stamped it onto a piece of watercolour paper.  It worked!  I spritzed the stamp again and stamped onto a journal page that I had used to "clean off" some stencils.  I continued to do this until the whole page was covered with the stamp. 

Then I used some Dylusions ink sprays and sprayed the journal page.  I wanted to leave some white space (very hard for me to do sometimes) so I masked off 3 circles.  I used a Crafter's Workshop stencil and some Distress Paint to add another layer.  Then I used the Pitt Big Brush Pen and the Gelatos to highlight and define the circle areas more.  Finally, I took the initial stamped image on the watercolour paper, gave it a wash with the Gelatos, trimmed it to size and adhered it to the page. I love the repetition of the stamped image...some of them more hidden than others.

No words...not too much thinking...just playing and getting used to Gelatos.  I'm definitely going to pick up some more colours and continue playing.  I'm glad I didn't let my first experience with them deter me from trying them again! 

2 comments:

  1. O'h that's awesome Julie! I just ordered some Gelato's and can't wait to play!
    Have a great day!
    Mandy (kashagray5)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous Julie! I love the dylusions and the gelatos (never used) add so much. You inspire me! Thanks for that. The artpiece is lovely. Have a great weekend. Heartfully Yours, Samara www.shadowsideart.blogpost.ca

    ReplyDelete